The SeSAFE project
The SeSAFE project commenced in 2018 funded by the FRDC and the Australian fishing and aquaculture industry, and the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA). The goal of this initiative is to raise awareness and improve safety performance in the fishing and aquaculture industry Australia wide.
Steve Eayrs is the project’s Principal Investigator responsible for delivery of project goals. Project advice and support is provided by the National RD&E Seafood Industry Safety Initiative (SISI) Committee. Membership of this committee includes:
- John Harrison. Senior Executive Consultant. Future Focused Consulting
- Jodie Ford. Fishing Industry Representative
- Troy Billin. Fishing Industry Representative
- Michael O’Brien. Operations Manager. Australia Bay Seafoods
- Veronica Papacosta. Chief Executive Officer. Seafood Industry Australia
- Heidi Mumme. Principle Consultant. MI-fish Consulting
- Michael Drake. National Operations Manager. Australian Maritime Safety Authority
- Patrick Hone. Managing Director. Fisheries Research and Development Corporation
- Observer – Tanya Adams Director. Taylored Health and Safety
This project was initially supported by a $550k grant from the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (FRDC), which included a $250k cash contribution by Austral Fisheries. During the first three years of the project, a $100k financial contribution was made by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) and an in-kind contribution of $100k was made by Austral Fisheries. Funding was also received from the Australian Council of Prawn Fisheries, the Western Rock Lobster Council, the Australian Fisheries Management Authority, and several commercial fishing companies.
In 2021, the FRDC continued their support for SeSAFE with a further grant of $560k. Funding support was also received by several industry bodies, commercial fishing companies, and individuals working in the fishing industry.